Monday, February 7, 2022

CDL and MicroPython

As if I needed an excuse to play with different technologies (twist my pinky) ... A new person has asked if he can join the Computer Deconstruction Lab and learn about Python, HTML, CSS, Javascript and Linux. I said "Yes", basically this is one of our missions, teaching technology. We have an intro class for Python from Linux, Mac or Windows. But I also picked up a couple of RP2040's and a Adafruit Feather RP2040. The Feather already has MicroPython. I intend to use it to teach that programming and MicroPython isn't always in a resource rich environment like a desktop, laptop or Pi computer. It also looks like another member is interested in a Python class. So I'll work one up based on Joe Wilkes excellent class. I really should add some new classes, Joe did an Arduino (C/C++) class but we also need a Linux basics class. Additionally an HTML/CSS/JS class, that's a hard one as I'll need to get DOM straight in my head.

On the lines of Micropython (and C++, perhaps Rust) and the RP2040 boards, WIZnet invited me to a contest for their Raspberry Pi Pico or RP2040 based projects along with WIZnet’s hardwired TCP/IP technology boards. With all the projects I have TCF, CDL, and family, I'm going to be quite busy for some time so I decided to buy some boards rather than register for the contest. I'll now be able to play with the boards when I get some time. I have 2 Ethernet Hats for my 2 RP2040s and 2 WIZnet W5100S-EVB-Pico (Pico and Ethernet on one board). I also have a PIC32 Fubarino with the W5500 board (Temperature & Humidity sensing traffic light). A quick look at the reference project and I see that they have projects using MicroPython. Very cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Makerspace near me ... Can't find CDL

Hey! We're getting more members! Yes! But despite my efforts the search engines: DuckDuckGo, Bing and Google can't seem to find many...